Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Meet our Surrogate, Bridget!

I thought I would introduce my self. I am the surrogate. Bridget. I live in Boise. I have 3 kids, Jackson is 11, Rylee is 7 and Austin is 2.5.
I am married to Shawn.
I work part time as a hospice nurse.
I have been a gestational surrogate once before. Bringing two beautiful girls into this world 4.5 years ago. I have to say that was one of the coolest things I've ever done and I cant wait to experience that again.
I couldn't have imagined doing this for better people. Cody & Erin have been such a joy to get to know and I can't wait to take this crazy ride with them and give them their sweet baby.

I can share a little of what this has been like for me so far. When we were in Seattle in June I had blood work, a meeting with the Dr to go over my past medical history and what to expect with this clinic. I also had a sonohysterogram, which was a little camera put into my uterus to see how it looked inside. I have to admit, I was a little nervous for that part. I've heard other girls say they got valium and/or Vicodin for that and I got nothing. But in the end, meds would have been overkill. It was easy and pain free. Actually kinda cool, who gets to say, they've seen the inside of their uterus? Maybe that's the nurse in me. Shawn and I had a meeting with the psychologist to make sure we were just crazy enough to do this. Then we had a meeting with her and all 4 of us. To make sure we are all on the same page for the important things.
Once we navigated the murky waters of the legal contracts, it was on to meds.
I've been on Lupron for a couple weeks now. Its a small insulin needle injected into my stomach. I do that every evening. Now I'm also taking estrogen twice a day. Tomorrow I will double that dose and a few days after that I'll triple it. That is to thicken the lining of my uterus.  I am going in once a week to check and make sure the meds are working like their supposed to. So far so good.
I can't believe that in 3 weeks we go for the embryo transfer. For those unfamiliar with that. Its very similar to a pap smear. There's an ultrasound wand on my belly to help the Dr. see what he's doing, and he sticks this tiny little straw inside and places the embryos right inside the uterus. Its painless and quick. 
So that's a little about me and what's going on on my end. I am an open book so if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask.  



3 comments:

  1. Thank you Bridget! Love from a Grama

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing human being! It brings tears of joy to know there are still truly GREAT people out there! To bring such selfless joy into other peoples lives (strangers at that) is commendable, you are obviously over flowing with compassion. I would love to meet you someday!

    ReplyDelete